Soroptimist International Portadown wishes to hold an “Equality, Diversity and Inclusion” Event for women at Craigavon Civic Centre on Thursday 7 March 2019 at 7 pm to celebrate International Women’s Day.
Soroptimist International is a worldwide organisation for women and we seek to educate, empower and enable women and girls who are less fortunate than ourselves. We do this through awareness, advocacy and action.
The event will take the form of a number of round tables - each table will represent a different culture/nationality. We would welcome a member from your group/culture to come along and speak on the areas shown below. We then propose to move the attendees at the table around so that all present are able to hear and listen to your Speaker and hear their comments. We feel that this will be a great opportunity to learn and hear about your culture and your experiences since coming to live in our country.
We are looking for women who would be willing to speak for 10 minutes on:
- Cultural background – the country and culture you identify with.
- How, when and why did you decide to make Northern Ireland your home?
- What opportunities and challenges have you encountered since coming to live here?
- How do you maintain your cultural identity?
Through this event we hope to achieve the following objectives:-
- Understand our similarities and differences;
- Establish relationships with people from cultures different to our own;
- Act as an ally against racism and other forms of discrimination;
- Build strong and diverse communities.
We hope you or your group will be able to help us to achieve our objectives by taking part and by bringing others to hear women from other cultures within our community.
Please contact MAUREEN MAGUIRE of Soroptomist International as soon as possible if you are able to provide a Speaker and join with us to make this event a success. Maureen’s contact details are:
TEL: 07500 220242