Childrens Burns Trust Safety Guidance
- 30 babies and toddlers go to the hospital with a hot drink burn every day. Keep hot drinks out of reach.
- 60% of all under 3 paediatric burn attendances to Accident & Emergency Departments are due to hot drink burns. Keep hot drinks out of reach.
- 590 children a month require admission to an NHS Burns Service following a severe burn or scald injury.
- 4,609 children under 5 were so badly burnt they were admitted to a NHS specialist burns service last year – over 12 toddlers every day.
- The most common place of injury is the home for children and the elderly. For adults, it’s the workplace.
- Did you know hot drinks are the most common cause of burns in children? Something as common as a tea or coffee can have devastating effects.
- Prevention & good first aid are key to reducing the number of burns and scalds occurring each year.
- Irons & Hair Straighteners take longer than you think to cool down - 662+ children (0–14 yrs) last year were treated for burns from them.